Ready To Grow Into A Lasting Career?
At Allegan Credit Union, we have so much fun in a meaningful way while helping our members build their credit, save for their dream home, educate our communities on how to live their best lives, and challenge each other to grow in a fulfilling team environment. If you're driven by seeing others thrive, this may be the place for you!
Check available openings below. To apply, send an email to
Allegan Credit Union is searching for a fun, energetic, and outgoing person to join our growing team as a Full-Time Member Service Representative!
We're looking for someone who is eager to use their communication skills and outgoing personality to help new and existing credit union members explore new products while providing exceptional service to meet their financial needs. If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, read below for more information on how you can become our next MSR!
What is a Member Service Representative?
To put it simply: The MSR will help members from start to finish with all needs.
Not so simply: These team members are able to run a cash drawer (processing cash, checks, and other member transactions). They will also be able to build meaningful relationships with members of our Credit Union and people of our community. From these relationships, the MSR will identify individualized needs and help people gain an understanding of how our products and services will benefit their personal situations. Once those needs are identified, the MSR will be able to assist with opening accounts, processing loan applications, and many other tasks. More experienced MSRs will become the go-to for business accounts, specialized accounts, mortgages, and any other financial needs that may be more complex.
What experience is needed?
We have developed a culture of helping and educating our members, community, and team. We require our team members to help others and be open to receiving the same kindness in return. Customer service, Credit Union knowledge, and cash handling experience are a huge plus but if you genuinely like helping those around you and can keep a positive attitude and an encouraging work environment even when things get tough, we will hire without experience!
We value our team members tremendously and take an interest in helping them grow as individuals and as team members. We accomplish this with monthly coaching sessions and other informal meetings that help address areas of improvement. We expect our team members to take an interest in themselves and communicate what they need to be successful in their positions. Employment is a two-way street and we can help best when communication is open and transparency is kept a priority.
What is the schedule?
An MSR will be expected to have availability from approximately 8:00am to 5:30pm and will need to work an average of 3 Saturday's a month as well as having flexibility in their schedule to cover vacations, call-ins, and other scheduling situations that arise. The MSR will have a designated home branch, but may be asked to help cover other branch locations when additional coverage is needed.
Just so we cover all our bases, here is our traditional Job Description for those who love all the details:
To assist members and potential members with their Credit Union needs directly and through other Member Service Representatives; Provide expertise with respect to more complex Credit Union services such as electronic funds transfers, home banking, setting up accounts, and applying for loans; explains services, responds to problems, and directs members to appropriate staff as needed.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- 20% Assists members with opening and closing accounts, answering questions about products and services and resolves problems. Assists other MSRs with technical problems and questions relating to complicated products and regulations.
- 20% Interviews loan applicants and submits applications for approval or denial. Ensures that applications and member needs are thoroughly and adequately described and input into the loan application.
- 20% Receives and processes customer financial transactions, including deposits, withdrawals and loan payments; sells money orders and travelers checks to members; transfers amounts from member accounts as directed.
- 10% Receives and Processes member financial transactions, including deposits, withdrawals, and loan payments. Balances cash drawer and checks received.
- 10% Cross-sells Credit Union services.
- 10% Welcomes members and provides routine information concerning services and directs member to appropriate department for specific information and service.
- 5% Performs a variety of miscellaneous tasks including typing, filing, computer input and answering the telephone.
- 5% Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Provide friendly, professional, personal service to all members and coworkers.
- Balance your drawer daily, being no more than $5 off, and with total offages not to exceed 3 times within 3 months.
- Accurately post transactions, taking the time to review receipts with members to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure all documentation is complete within 80% minimum accuracy rate.
- Troubleshoot and resolve customer and internal inquiries in a timely, friendly and accurate manner.
- Proactively seek opportunities to identify appropriate products and services for the betterment of the customer.
- Maintain a dependable record of attendance and timeliness.
- Maintain a professional work environment and businesslike appearance.
Experience: 12 months of cash handling, accounts, and lending or related experience is preferred. Must complete sales training and pass written knowledge test. Accuracy of applications and files will be reviewed for 90 days to ensure 90%+ accuracy. History of goals being met will also be considered.
Education: A high school education or GED.
Interpersonal: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves personal contact with others inside and/or outside the organization, generally regarding routine matters for purposes of giving or obtaining information which may require some discussion. Must be good with detail to deal with numbers and names.
Tactical: Ten key calculator and computer keyboard by touch.
Physical Requirements: Standing for extended periods of time is a required.
Benefits of working for Allegan CU:
- Competitive Wages
- 8% 401k match after one year of employment
- Eligibility for benefits with Full-Time employment
- Chance to gain life/financial experience that will help you forever
- Independence to try new things
- An inclusive culture with the freedom to grow personally and professionally
- Build relationships with people in our communities
- Space to expand comfort zones and tackle new goals
- Have a voice in helping shape the CU
- Be the face of a growing organization
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Team member assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Cash handling: 1 year (Preferred)
- Customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person